Monday 19 March 2012

Exercise: Positioning a point

This is easy and simple, were my initial thoughts. Elements from previous exercises come into play. Finding and identifying images from my collection was resulting in a few. However I also wanted to find something new and experiement by improving my skills. Greater or lesser depth of field, different angles and use of lenses are such examples.
In this exercise I am to choose three images where the positiong point is in a different place. They can be anywhere on the outer edge, off centre or centred.

Fisherman in the River Dee

Image 4378 taken on 29.2.2012, 1/250sec, f5.6, ISO 160, 250mm
The fisherman is slightly offcentre to the left and top. The reflections of the water do not distract but highlight the lone figure.

Todhead Lighthouse

Image 4512 taken on 15.3.2012, 1600sec, f7, ISO200, 250mm
It was a misty morning with the sun barely coming through. I positioned the lighthouse at the outer edge and used the misty sea as the background. In the other images the foreground of fields and electricity was distracting away from the lighthouse. I cropped the image further as my lense was not long enaugh and ended up with more background than I wanted.


Buzzard


Image 4497 taken on 13.3.2012, 1/500sec, f11, ISO200, 250mm
This is a centred image of a Buzzard, although for some reason I cannot see it here. There was a commotion in the sky as a Buzzard familiy was being harrassed by crows. It was a cloudy day with a uniform gray. This is one of a number of images all turning out in silhuette. When I first noticed the event in the sky all was happening quite low and I could clearly see the birds. By the time I got the camera ready,  they where much higher. Focusing manualy was another challenge. Taking these images made me realise once again that wildlife photography as easy as it looks when done by professionals

Once again the execise has been useful as I start to look more carefully when composing the image. With the buzzard it was chance that it was centred as the event was constantly changing and getting out of range. With the other two I had more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment