Friday 3 February 2012

Exercise: Positioning the horizon

I happened to be working in Newtonhill on the 2.2.2012 and could observe the cloudbank over the sea and the sun rising behind. I went to the cliff and took a series of pictures with the horizon in different position.
Image 4074, the horizon is in the top of the picture. In this composition my eyes are drawn to the sea and the waves. The distant sunrays and the top of the cliff add extra depth and scale to the image.


Image 4075, taken a moment later with the horizon centred. Now my eyes are drawn to the far distance and possibly beyond the sunrays.


Image 4076, the horizon is in bottom third of the picture, my eyes start wander away from the sea towards the clouds as they start to dominate the the picture.


Image 4077, the horizon is at the very bottom to indicate the presence of the sea, but my eyes are drawn fully to the clouds.
All pictures where taken within a few minutes and the same focal length and come up with very different results. The series also demonstrates how we look at an overall scene, in this instance I looked down at the sea and followed towards the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment