Sunday 22 April 2012

Exercise: Implied Lines

This exercise comes in three parts.
In the first part we are asked to look at two photographs in the given text on Page 68 and find implied lines. In the scene of the bullfighter my eye catches first that there is action. The bull appears to run in a circle around the  fighter who keeps stationary but moves flags. In the second photograph a farmer has two horses on a rope. Here again a circular motion is in place. The farmers footstep indicates that he is following the horses in a smaller circle perhaps.
In the second part we are asked to look at three photographs of my own and look for implied lines. I found them easier to identify when the picture involved people. I had caught the image of a man sitting still under a bridge by the river Dee in Aberdeen looking what seems to be the far distance, beyond the picture itself. The statue of Robert the Bruce in front of Marishall College, Aberdeen has a range of implied lines. The King sitting upon his horse is reading and shouting out something to the populace. The horse though frozen in granite appears to be moving . I can imagine a number of people standing there listening to the King. My third picture was of Buzzards being chased away by crows. Though the series of pictures is not very clear, the motions are.
For the third part of the exercise I am to find and take two photographs which capture implied lines that lead the eye of either an eye-line, the extension of a line or lines that point.

Water ski-ing
Image 4836 taken on 8.4.2012, 1/640 sec, f10, ISO800, 250mm
The tow ropes indicate the general direction of the movement from right to left. The implied lines are indicated by the skiers seeming to watch each others next move and current location.

Sea cave


Image 5024 taken on 22.4.2012, 1/80sec, f10, ISO200, 123mm
This is I hope is an example of lines that point. This image was not taken with the exercise in mind. At home I noticed that my eyes where drawn to look into the cave and I wondered what was causing it. The tri-angular shape of the cave entrance could be interpreted as one line as can the surface of the sea. The coming and going of the birds at different levels also give my eyes a direction to look into the dark cave.


No comments:

Post a Comment